Diversity and Inclusion
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
— Martin Luther King, Jr.
We strive to provide an inclusive and bias-free learning environment following the "Ten Simple Rules for Unbiased Teaching":
- Increase representation of historically minoritized individuals in teaching materials;
- Use representative images and examples, but avoid stereotypes;
- Avoid biased interpretations of research;
- Disentangle sex and gender;
- Adequately communicate and preempt controversial topics;
- Small things can have big effects [unconscious mindset issues];
- Avoid inappropriate jokes and images;
- Familiarize yourself with changing semantics;
- Provide positive, kind, inclusive, and encouraging feedback;
- Be open and embrace change.